Kia Is Giving Its 2021 Rio Hatch A Fresh Face And More
Our spy photographers have snapped the 2021 Kia Rio out in the open, this time performing some cold weather testing in Scandinavia.
Don’t let the thick camouflage trick you, nor the added layers of vinyl compared to last time we saw it, because as much as the Korean company may try to hide it, it’s not a new generation, but a facelift.
Thus, it will soldier on with the same nuts and bolts of the outgoing iteration, which entered production in 2017. The only things that should visually set it apart are the revised bumpers and lighting units at both ends, with rumors claiming that the upper and lower grilles will slightly grow in size as well. New colors and wheels will likely round up the changes on the outside.
We have yet to catch a clear glimpse of the cabin, as our man with the camera couldn’t get close enough to the prototypes. Nonetheless, we wouldn’t hold our breath for any major upgrades, as Kia will likely keep it simple, with new upholstery and trims. If there’s one thing that could change, that’s the infotainment system.
The engine lineup is expected to carry over and will continue to include small petrol and in markets outside North America, diesel power units too, available with manual and automatic transmissions, including a dual-clutch, although we wouldn’t be surprised if they become friendlier to the environment.
Don’t look for the updated Rio at the 2020 Geneva Motor Show in early March, as Kia is understood to keep it under wraps a bit longer, perhaps until the end of the year or early 2021.
Photo Credits: S. Baldauf/SB-Medien for CarScoops
More on this: 121 stories
- A cut-price sporty small car is put through its paces
- Kia Stinger to go electric for survival?
- 2021 Kia K5 name confirmed in fuel economy listing
- You (Don't) Know My Name: Say Goodbye to Kia Optima, Hello to K5
- The next-gen Kia Stinger may have to become an EV to stick around
- Kia Stinger may have to evolve, and possibly go electric, to stick around, design boss says
- Kia's midsize sedan could lose its 'Optima' name for 2021
- 2021 Kia K5 is taking over for the Optima
- New 2021 Kia Stinger facelift starts testing at the Nürburgring
- Rumours of Kia Stinger's retirement blasted as "ridiculous fake news", facelift set for July
- Driven: 2019 Kia Cerato (Forte) GT Is A Warm Hatch That's Fun To Drive And Attractively Priced
- Kia Says It's Still Betting On Sedans
- 2021 Kia electric SUV previewed in exclusive images
- 2021 Kia Stinger spy shots and video
- Kia plans to launch 11 EVs by 2025
- Kia steers towards more electric sales
- Facelifted 2021 Kia Picanto Debuts In Korea As The 'Morning Urban'
- Can this 1990s icon become cool again?
- Kia Confirms 310-Mile Range, 20-Minute Charging Time For 2021 Electric Crossover
- Kia electric cars getting 800-volt charging system
- New Kia Picanto 2020 detailed: MG 3 rival gets big tech upgrade
- New Kia Stinger 2021: No engine changes for Aussie model
- Kia Canada will cover first six new-car payments
- Refreshed Kia Picanto revealed with updates inside and out...
- 2020 Kia Mohave 'Gravity' Is The New KDM Range-Topper With New Grille, Other Upgrades