MOTORING: New Sorento to earn its stripes in Geneva
CATCHING my eye this week is the first official images from Kia Motors of their all-new Sorento model, ahead of its first public appearance at the 2020 Geneva International Motor Show on March 3.
The concept of ‘refined boldness’ inspired Kia’s designers, who sought to maintain the robust, tough-looking aesthetic of earlier generations of Sorento, while applying a greater degree of refinement and elegance. More stylish than ever, the Sorento’s redefined design incorporates sharper lines and uninterrupted surfaces, making it noticeably more sculpted than its more round-edged predecessor.
The assertive ‘face’ of the Sorento evolves, too, with a new interpretation of Kia’s hallmark ‘tiger nose’ grille. Wider and more expansive, it wraps organically around the integrated headlamps on each side. The headlamps themselves feature a new ‘tiger eye’ LED daytime running light.
The latest Sorento will be the first SUV to be based on Kia’s new platform when production commences later this year.
When the first-generation Sorento was launched in 2002, it was underpinned by a robust body-on-frame chassis, maximising space and all-road ability. The shift to a monocoque structure for the second-generation Sorento in 2009 marked a step change in the car’s on-road character and behaviour. Kia’s new midsize SUV platform represents a similarly important leap forward for the next-generation Sorento, allowing the car to set new standards in its segment for space, practicality, efficiency and quality.
For Korea, Europe and North America, the structure and layout of the platform accommodates the Sorento’s potent new ‘Smartstream’ turbo hybrid powertrain. Representing the first application of electrified power in the Sorento line-up, the new powertrain comprises a 1.6-litre T-GDi (Turbocharged Gasoline Direct injection) engine, 44.2kW electric motor and 1.49kWh lithium-ion polymer battery pack. The engine and motor produce a combined total output of 230ps power, providing low emissions with high levels of performance from the new electrified powertrain.
European customers can also specify the Sorento’s new four-cylinder 2.2-litre ‘Smartstream’ diesel engine, producing 202ps and paired with Kia’s new eight-speed wet double-clutch transmission (8DCT), developed to offer the smooth shifting characteristics of a conventional automatic while enhancing efficiency over dry clutch DCTs.
Additional powertrains will be announced in future, including a powerful new plug-in hybrid variant.
The Sorento sits at the heart of Kia’s reinvigorated global SUV line-up.
The new Sorento’s UK specification, pricing and on-sale date will be announced in due course.
More on this: 121 stories
- A cut-price sporty small car is put through its paces
- Kia Stinger to go electric for survival?
- 2021 Kia K5 name confirmed in fuel economy listing
- You (Don't) Know My Name: Say Goodbye to Kia Optima, Hello to K5
- The next-gen Kia Stinger may have to become an EV to stick around
- Kia Stinger may have to evolve, and possibly go electric, to stick around, design boss says
- Kia's midsize sedan could lose its 'Optima' name for 2021
- 2021 Kia K5 is taking over for the Optima
- New 2021 Kia Stinger facelift starts testing at the Nürburgring
- Rumours of Kia Stinger's retirement blasted as "ridiculous fake news", facelift set for July
- Driven: 2019 Kia Cerato (Forte) GT Is A Warm Hatch That's Fun To Drive And Attractively Priced
- Kia Says It's Still Betting On Sedans
- 2021 Kia electric SUV previewed in exclusive images
- 2021 Kia Stinger spy shots and video
- Kia plans to launch 11 EVs by 2025
- Kia steers towards more electric sales
- Facelifted 2021 Kia Picanto Debuts In Korea As The 'Morning Urban'
- Can this 1990s icon become cool again?
- Kia Confirms 310-Mile Range, 20-Minute Charging Time For 2021 Electric Crossover
- Kia electric cars getting 800-volt charging system
- New Kia Picanto 2020 detailed: MG 3 rival gets big tech upgrade
- New Kia Stinger 2021: No engine changes for Aussie model
- Kia Canada will cover first six new-car payments
- Refreshed Kia Picanto revealed with updates inside and out...
- 2020 Kia Mohave 'Gravity' Is The New KDM Range-Topper With New Grille, Other Upgrades