Kia Stinger sport sedan might switch to electric, hints design boss
The Kia Stinger may need to go electric in order to survive, Kia design boss Karim Habib hinted in a recent interview with Top Gear.
"As the technology goes towards EVs and as the world and its appetite for these types of cars changes, the concept probably has to evolve as well," Habib said in reference to the Stinger.
Habib stopped short of confirming plans for an electric version of the Stinger, which is currently offered with turbocharged inline-4 and V-6 gasoline engines. The car will get a mid-cycle refresh later this year.
An electric Stinger is something Kia has hinted at from the start—literally. When the car was unveiled at the 2017 Detroit Auto Show, Kia executives hinted to Green Car Reports and other media outlets that an electric version was a possibility.
2020 Kia Stinger
With its emphasis on performance and style, the Stinger was meant to add more excitement to Kia's lineup, creating what is known in the auto industry as the "halo effect." However, in its current form, the sedan could become less relevant as Kia puts more emphasis on electric cars.
Kia is in the midst of a global push toward more EVs, with plans for 11 new models by 2025.
Kia's current EV offering for the U.S. is the Niro EV, which is hardly a performance vehicle or halo model, but one that we like. With wider availability, it might have been our top pick for Green Car Reports' Best Car To Buy 2020.
More on this: 44 stories
- New Kia Seltos 2021 could score all-electric option to take on Hyundai Kona Electric
- Kia e-Niro range expanded with cheaper model
- Kia Motors: U.S. probes Kia headlight failures, GM steering issues, Auto News, ET Auto
- Fourth-Gen Kia Carnival / Sedona Minivan Previewed With Fresh Design
- Kia e-Soul Cargo Debuts As An Electric Commercial Vehicle
- 2020 Kia Picanto facelift gets styling refresh and large touchscreen
- Kia Picanto GT-Line and X-Line 'under consideration' for SA...
- Upgraded Rio the first Kia to implement a petrol mild-hybrid powertrain
- Review update: 2021 Kia Seltos S Turbo stirs mixed emotions
- Facelifted Kia Rio here soon
- Kia Rio gets a refresh
- 2020 Kia Rio facelift brings hybrid engine and extra technology
- 2021 Kia Rio gets more style and a mild-hybrid in Europe
- 2020 Kia Rio facelift coming this autumn
- Refreshed Kia Rio: hatchback gains new engines, revamped cabin
- 2021 Kia Rio Facelift Brings Subtle Styling Tweaks, Big Content Upgrades
- You (Don't) Know My Name: Say Goodbye to Kia Optima, Hello to K5
- Kia Stinger may have to evolve, and possibly go electric, to stick around, design boss says
- Rumours of Kia Stinger's retirement blasted as "ridiculous fake news", facelift set for July
- 2021 Kia electric SUV previewed in exclusive images
- Kia plans to launch 11 EVs by 2025
- Kia steers towards more electric sales
- Kia Confirms 310-Mile Range, 20-Minute Charging Time For 2021 Electric Crossover
- Kia electric cars getting 800-volt charging system
- New Kia Picanto 2020 detailed: MG 3 rival gets big tech upgrade