2020 Kia Picanto facelift gets styling refresh and large touchscreen
The Kia Picanto hatchback has been updated for 2020 with styling changes, a range of upgrades to the interior and revisions under the bonnet. You’ll be able to buy facelifted Picanto models in the autumn, with first deliveries set to occur before the end of 2020.
2020 Kia Picanto facelift styling
Kia has given the Picanto’s front and rear lights new LED elements, while the grille has been slightly altered. There are 10 paint colours on offer and alloy wheels measuring either 14 or 16 inches. The sporty GT-Line and rugged-looking X-Line models have been given a little more attention, as both have redesigned front and rear bumpers. GT-Line versions get a wide air intake, red touches and new fake exhaust tips, while the X-Line has raised suspension and silver-painted areas that resemble a 4x4’s skid plates.
The facelifted Kia Picanto brings a larger touchscreen than before; it’s now eight inches in size, supports Apple CarPlay and Android Auto, and offers the ability to pair two phones at once - one via Bluetooth and the other via USB. Between the dials there’s a new digital info screen, and you get either fabric or faux-leather upholstery depending on trim level. Four interior colour packs are available in red, green, orange or lime.
The new Picanto benefits from a lot of useful extra safety features. You’ll be able to have tech like forward collision avoidance, lane-keeping assistance, a driver attention alert, blind-spot monitoring and lane-following assist. The latter means that some versions can essentially drive themselves on the motorway. You’d expect that from a Mercedes S-Class, but not a city car.
All three petrol engines are carried over but with updates to meet the latest CO2 emissions targets. The fuel injection and exhaust gas recirculation systems have been improved, and all cars get a new engine management system. Kia says the revisions will also improve fuel economy, although no figures have been provided yet. Every engine in the current car manages around 50mpg.
The entry-level engine is a 1.0-litre three-cylinder unit with 66bhp, or you can upgrade to a 1.2-litre four-cylinder option with 83bhp. Some trim levels will also give you the choice of a turbocharged 1.0-litre engine with 99bhp. A five-speed manual gearbox is standard across the range, or you can pick a five-speed automatic that replaces the outgoing car’s dated four-speed offering.
The Picanto competes against city cars including the Toyota Aygo, Volkswagen up! and Hyundai i10, while some rivals like the Skoda Citigo and SEAT Mii have transitioned to electric power. Kia’s offering currently starts from just over £10,000 but it’s likely that prices will increase slightly for the updated model.
More on this: 44 stories
- New Kia Seltos 2021 could score all-electric option to take on Hyundai Kona Electric
- Kia e-Niro range expanded with cheaper model
- Kia Motors: U.S. probes Kia headlight failures, GM steering issues, Auto News, ET Auto
- Fourth-Gen Kia Carnival / Sedona Minivan Previewed With Fresh Design
- Kia e-Soul Cargo Debuts As An Electric Commercial Vehicle
- Kia Picanto GT-Line and X-Line 'under consideration' for SA...
- Kia Stinger sport sedan might switch to electric, hints design boss
- Upgraded Rio the first Kia to implement a petrol mild-hybrid powertrain
- Review update: 2021 Kia Seltos S Turbo stirs mixed emotions
- Facelifted Kia Rio here soon
- Kia Rio gets a refresh
- 2020 Kia Rio facelift brings hybrid engine and extra technology
- 2021 Kia Rio gets more style and a mild-hybrid in Europe
- 2020 Kia Rio facelift coming this autumn
- Refreshed Kia Rio: hatchback gains new engines, revamped cabin
- 2021 Kia Rio Facelift Brings Subtle Styling Tweaks, Big Content Upgrades
- You (Don't) Know My Name: Say Goodbye to Kia Optima, Hello to K5
- Kia Stinger may have to evolve, and possibly go electric, to stick around, design boss says
- Rumours of Kia Stinger's retirement blasted as "ridiculous fake news", facelift set for July
- 2021 Kia electric SUV previewed in exclusive images
- Kia plans to launch 11 EVs by 2025
- Kia steers towards more electric sales
- Kia Confirms 310-Mile Range, 20-Minute Charging Time For 2021 Electric Crossover
- Kia electric cars getting 800-volt charging system
- New Kia Picanto 2020 detailed: MG 3 rival gets big tech upgrade