Kia Picanto GT-Line and X-Line 'under consideration' for SA...
Kia Motors South Africa says the GT-Line and X-Line variants of the facelifted Picanto are “under consideration” for a local introduction.
The Korean firm’s local arm says the refreshed Picanto range is expected to touch down in South Africa in the final quarter of 2020. Of course, we’ve already seen the updated third-generation Picanto, after the little city car broke cover in South Korea in the second week of May 2020 (wearing the “Morning” badge).
Now, the company’s division in Europe has released fresh information, including the fact the upgraded Picanto will be offered with “re-engineered powertrains” and a new, optional automated manual transmission. We should point out, however, it remains to be seen whether the local range will gain the same upgrades.
The sportily styled GT-Line and rugged-looking X-Line variants gain the latest interpretation of the brand’s “tiger nose” grille, which features red highlights on GT-Line model and black trim on X-Line model. Both models feature redesigned headlamps and LED daytime running lights, along with redesigned LED taillamps. The front and rear bumper designs, too, have been tweaked.
The GT-Line boasts a body-coloured bumper with gloss-black highlights, while the X-Line features skid plates and black cladding running from its front bumper along its flanks.
Inside, the Euro-spec Picanto gains what Kia describes as a “series of visual and technological upgrades”, centred around an 8,0-inch display (with Apple CarPlay and Android Auto functionality) and a 4,2-inch digital display in the instrument cluster.
And under the bonnet? Well, in Europe, the Picanto is offered with a 74 kW turbocharged 1,0-litre three-cylinder petrol engine, a 49 kW naturally aspirated 1,0-litre unit or a 1,2-litre motor generating 62 kW. Again, local engine specifications have yet to be confirmed.
See Full Kia Picanto price and specs here
More on this: 44 stories
- New Kia Seltos 2021 could score all-electric option to take on Hyundai Kona Electric
- Kia e-Niro range expanded with cheaper model
- Kia Motors: U.S. probes Kia headlight failures, GM steering issues, Auto News, ET Auto
- Fourth-Gen Kia Carnival / Sedona Minivan Previewed With Fresh Design
- Kia e-Soul Cargo Debuts As An Electric Commercial Vehicle
- 2020 Kia Picanto facelift gets styling refresh and large touchscreen
- Kia Stinger sport sedan might switch to electric, hints design boss
- Upgraded Rio the first Kia to implement a petrol mild-hybrid powertrain
- Review update: 2021 Kia Seltos S Turbo stirs mixed emotions
- Facelifted Kia Rio here soon
- Kia Rio gets a refresh
- 2020 Kia Rio facelift brings hybrid engine and extra technology
- 2021 Kia Rio gets more style and a mild-hybrid in Europe
- 2020 Kia Rio facelift coming this autumn
- Refreshed Kia Rio: hatchback gains new engines, revamped cabin
- 2021 Kia Rio Facelift Brings Subtle Styling Tweaks, Big Content Upgrades
- You (Don't) Know My Name: Say Goodbye to Kia Optima, Hello to K5
- Kia Stinger may have to evolve, and possibly go electric, to stick around, design boss says
- Rumours of Kia Stinger's retirement blasted as "ridiculous fake news", facelift set for July
- 2021 Kia electric SUV previewed in exclusive images
- Kia plans to launch 11 EVs by 2025
- Kia steers towards more electric sales
- Kia Confirms 310-Mile Range, 20-Minute Charging Time For 2021 Electric Crossover
- Kia electric cars getting 800-volt charging system
- New Kia Picanto 2020 detailed: MG 3 rival gets big tech upgrade