New Kia Picanto 2020 detailed: Sporty variants, more tech locked in for facelifted MG 3 rival
Kia Australia has announced local details of the third-generation Picanto micro hatch’s facelift ahead of its arrival in the third quarter.
The mid-range GT-Line and flagship GT variants have been revealed for the first time, with both once again picking up a sports body kit over the returning entry-level S version as well as a fresh set of 16-inch alloy wheels.
Aside from the previously reported design changes, the S also gets an upgrade to MFR halogen headlights, while the GT-Line and GT step up to projector items with lower foglights.
Inside, all grades get a 4.2-inch multifunction display and an 8.0-inch touchscreen multimedia system that supports wireless Apple CarPlay and Android Auto, and two simultaneous Bluetooth connections.
The S and GT-Line will continue to be powered by a 62kW/122Nm 1.2-litre naturally aspirated engine four-cylinder engine locally, with Kia Australia forgoing the new 56kW/95Nm 1.0-litre unit introduced overseas.
That said, the GT will be motivated by a new-generation 1.0-litre turbo-petrol three-cylinder unit, which punches out the same 74kW of power and 172Nm of torque as its predecessor. Once more, it will be exclusively matched to a five-speed manual.
Kia Australia is yet to reveal if the Picanto will adopt the full suite of advanced driver-assist systems now offered internationally, including autonomous emergency braking with pedestrian detection, lane-keep assist, blind-spot monitoring and rear cross-traffic alert.
Pricing and full specification for the MG3 rival will be announced closer to its launch. Stay tuned.
More on this: 11 stories
- Kia Motors: U.S. probes Kia headlight failures, GM steering issues, Auto News, ET Auto
- The most powerful ute in Australia? How Kia's new dual-cab could change the game
- Upgraded Rio the first Kia to implement a petrol mild-hybrid powertrain
- Facelifted Kia Rio here soon
- Kia Rio gets a refresh
- 2020 Kia Rio facelift brings hybrid engine and extra technology
- 2021 Kia Rio gets more style and a mild-hybrid in Europe
- 2020 Kia Rio facelift coming this autumn
- Refreshed Kia Rio: hatchback gains new engines, revamped cabin
- 2021 Kia Rio Facelift Brings Subtle Styling Tweaks, Big Content Upgrades
- What has Kia got in store for 2020? New Sorento, Stonic, Carnival and Rio headline bumper year to come