Kia Motors: U.S. probes Kia headlight failures, GM steering issues, Auto News, ET Auto
NHTSA said it had received 74 reports of sudden, unexpected loss of headlights in model year 2011-2013 Kia Sorento vehicles including some while drivers were making a turn or traveling on the highway.
Reports allege headlights can turn off for some time until they correct themselves or the driver turns the vehicle off and on again. Some owners complain they have taken vehicles to dealerships for service several times but that the problem returned.
Kia did not immediately comment.
NHTSA is also probing 781,000 Chevrolet Equinoxes and GMC Terrain SUVs from 2010 to 2012 after receiving 52 complaints over a condition that could cause increased friction in the steering system. The friction may result in drivers feeling as if the steering wheel was sticking, the agency said, and added vehicles can still be turned but may require increased effort.
GM previously issued a service bulletin to address the issue and offered extended-warranty coverage to address it.
NHTSA said there was one report of an injury crash. The agency said it is reviewing vehicles that had the steering gear replaced under GM's special coverage but months later had additional steering concerns.
The issue is "a slight feeling of friction in the steering system that can be an annoyance to customers," GM spokesman Dan Flores said. "We've reviewed this issue internally and have reviewed it with NHTSA previously. We do not consider it to be a safety issue."
Also Read: US agency probes touch-screen failures in Tesla Model S
More on this: 44 stories
- New Kia Seltos 2021 could score all-electric option to take on Hyundai Kona Electric
- Kia e-Niro range expanded with cheaper model
- Fourth-Gen Kia Carnival / Sedona Minivan Previewed With Fresh Design
- Kia e-Soul Cargo Debuts As An Electric Commercial Vehicle
- 2020 Kia Picanto facelift gets styling refresh and large touchscreen
- Kia Picanto GT-Line and X-Line 'under consideration' for SA...
- Kia Stinger sport sedan might switch to electric, hints design boss
- Upgraded Rio the first Kia to implement a petrol mild-hybrid powertrain
- Review update: 2021 Kia Seltos S Turbo stirs mixed emotions
- Facelifted Kia Rio here soon
- Kia Rio gets a refresh
- 2020 Kia Rio facelift brings hybrid engine and extra technology
- 2021 Kia Rio gets more style and a mild-hybrid in Europe
- 2020 Kia Rio facelift coming this autumn
- Refreshed Kia Rio: hatchback gains new engines, revamped cabin
- 2021 Kia Rio Facelift Brings Subtle Styling Tweaks, Big Content Upgrades
- You (Don't) Know My Name: Say Goodbye to Kia Optima, Hello to K5
- Kia Stinger may have to evolve, and possibly go electric, to stick around, design boss says
- Rumours of Kia Stinger's retirement blasted as "ridiculous fake news", facelift set for July
- 2021 Kia electric SUV previewed in exclusive images
- Kia plans to launch 11 EVs by 2025
- Kia steers towards more electric sales
- Kia Confirms 310-Mile Range, 20-Minute Charging Time For 2021 Electric Crossover
- Kia electric cars getting 800-volt charging system
- New Kia Picanto 2020 detailed: MG 3 rival gets big tech upgrade