New Kia Seltos 2021 could score all-electric option to take on Hyundai Kona Electric
A recent leak has revealed that Kia will roll out an electric version of its popular Seltos small SUV by the end of the year in international markets, but does Australia have its hand up for the emissions-free model?
The representative would not confirm the existence of the ‘Seltos EV’, but the plans were uncovered by IndianAutosBlog, who cite internal documentation pointing to a mooted model to be launched in the second half of 2020.
However, the publication speculated that the Seltos EV will be offered exclusively in China, where it will be sold as the new KX3.
Australian-spec Seltos’ are sourced from South Korea, which are physically larger and offered with higher levels of equipment, safety and engine choices, while the Indian and Chinese vehicles are much closer aligned in terms of specification and size.
Rumours point out that the Seltos EV will likely adopt the Hyundai Kona Electric’s powertrain, which is available in two flavours overseas.
The standard-range Hyundai Kona Electric is fitted with 97kW/395Nm electric motor and 39kWh lithium-ion battery, while the long-range version ups the ante to 150kW/395Nm and a 64kWh battery. Only the latter is available in Australia and enables a driving range of around 450 kilometres from a full charge.
As for the e-Niro, Kia Australia had originally planned for a market introduction earlier this year, but high international market demand for the model meant the original plans for Down Under had to be delayed.
It is now looking likely that the e-Niro will launch in the first half of 2021.
The Kia e-Niro is also available with a 39kWH and 64kWh battery pack in overseas markets, matching the Kona Electric’s driving range.
More on this: 44 stories
- Kia e-Niro range expanded with cheaper model
- Kia Motors: U.S. probes Kia headlight failures, GM steering issues, Auto News, ET Auto
- Fourth-Gen Kia Carnival / Sedona Minivan Previewed With Fresh Design
- Kia e-Soul Cargo Debuts As An Electric Commercial Vehicle
- 2020 Kia Picanto facelift gets styling refresh and large touchscreen
- Kia Picanto GT-Line and X-Line 'under consideration' for SA...
- Kia Stinger sport sedan might switch to electric, hints design boss
- Upgraded Rio the first Kia to implement a petrol mild-hybrid powertrain
- Review update: 2021 Kia Seltos S Turbo stirs mixed emotions
- Facelifted Kia Rio here soon
- Kia Rio gets a refresh
- 2020 Kia Rio facelift brings hybrid engine and extra technology
- 2021 Kia Rio gets more style and a mild-hybrid in Europe
- 2020 Kia Rio facelift coming this autumn
- Refreshed Kia Rio: hatchback gains new engines, revamped cabin
- 2021 Kia Rio Facelift Brings Subtle Styling Tweaks, Big Content Upgrades
- You (Don't) Know My Name: Say Goodbye to Kia Optima, Hello to K5
- Kia Stinger may have to evolve, and possibly go electric, to stick around, design boss says
- Rumours of Kia Stinger's retirement blasted as "ridiculous fake news", facelift set for July
- 2021 Kia electric SUV previewed in exclusive images
- Kia plans to launch 11 EVs by 2025
- Kia steers towards more electric sales
- Kia Confirms 310-Mile Range, 20-Minute Charging Time For 2021 Electric Crossover
- Kia electric cars getting 800-volt charging system
- New Kia Picanto 2020 detailed: MG 3 rival gets big tech upgrade