New Kia Seltos 2021: No plans for diesel engine but is an electric model coming to take on Hyundai Kona?
The Kia Seltos 2020 model range has seen the inclusion of a new turbo-diesel version in some markets around the world, but Australia won’t get it here.
The new turbo-diesel Kia Seltos - which runs a 1.5-litre four-cylinder with 86kW and 250Nm - is being built for developing markets, and the car is constructed in India, rather than Korea.
But that doesn’t mean we won’t see an alternative powertrain offered here, it seems. There has been talk of a fully-electric Seltos in recent times, and it would form an interesting part of the model range to sit above the 2.0-litre petrol CVT FWD and 1.6-litre turbo-petrol dual-clutch AWD Seltos models already on sale.
Indeed, such a model would likely compete directly with its cousin, the Hyundai Kona Electric, which sits at the top of that model range, priced as high as $65,290.
“We continue to pursue our plan to introduce green powertrains to our model line-up in Australia during 2021, however the specifics of which models/powertrains has not yet been finalised,” said Kia Australia media and corporate communications manager, Alyson MacDonald.
It has also been made clear to CarsGuide that Kia has no plans to offer the top-spec GT-Line model with the FWD powertrain. Instead, it will continue to remain only available with the turbo-AWD running gear.
Diesel power has been falling out of favour across many line-ups in the Australia new car market, and SUVs are no exception. VW has axed diesel on all but the Touareg in its passenger car line, for example, while Hyundai and Kia still have diesel options on their Tucson and Sportage models, respectively.
More on this: 63 stories
- Hyundai And Kia Considering Tough Ladder-Frame SUVs
- Kia Sonet price: Kia Motors launches Sonet SUV, price starts at INR 6.71 lakh, Auto News, ET Auto
- Kia electric vehicle due in 2021 will lead new design direction for the brand
- Kia Tells Us Its Seven-Year-Plan for Electric Vehicles
- Kia's first all-electric vehicle due next year
- Kia previews the seven electric cars it plans to launch by 2027
- Kia promises seven new EVs by 2027
- Kia vows to cater for all EV needs with seven model launches by 2027
- Almost 190,000 Hyundai And Kia Models Recalled Due To ABS Issue
- Kia details New Zealand-spec Sorento SUV
- Kia planning Toyota LandCruiser rival
- Kia plots ladder-frame SUV to fight Toyota's Prado, says report
- First Kia ute still on track
- Kia Sorento plug-in hybrid here early next year
- New Kia Sorento Hybrid 2021 confirmed for Australia! Toyota Kluger and Nissan Pathfinder rival to also plug in
- 2021 Kia Rio arrives in Oz
- Kia Announces Pricing for 2021 K5 Sedan
- 2021 Seltos is right size, offers unbeatable value for a growing family
- 2022 Kia Sedona Details Revealed in South Korea
- Sonet SUV pre-booking: Kia Motors opens pre-booking for Sonet SUV from Aug 20, Auto News, ET Auto
- New Kia Carnival officially revealed
- 2022 Kia Sedona debuts with 11 seats
- Kia Fully Reveals Sharper 2022 Sedona In Korea As All-New Carnival
- U Spy North America's 2021 Kia Sorento Testing In Yosemite Valley
- 2021 Kia Sorento Goes On Sale In Europe, UK Pricing Starts At £38,845