Hyundai And Kia Considering Tough Ladder-Frame SUVs
Hyundai has admitted that it is thinking about launching a ladder-frame SUV that could rival vehicles like the Chevrolet Tahoe and Ford Expedition.
Hyundai and Kia both produce large SUVs in the form of the Palisade and the Telluride but they feature unibody constructions and are simply not as capable off-road as the many ladder-frame SUVs currently on the market, including the Toyota Land Cruiser.
During a recent interview with Car Sales, Hyundai’s head of global product management Lorenz Glaab said such a vehicle could make sense for Hyundai.
“Nothing can be excluded. There is some dynamism in that segment you just described and we are very much aware of that. We monitor [it] very closely,” he said. “And if we believe there is an opportunity for us, we can move pretty fast.”
Neither of the car manufacturers’s currently have a chassis to suit such SUVs but it is believed the companies could work together to develop a modular frame that would work for flagship Hyundai and Kia SUVs. Kia has previously indicated it is also interested in a body-on-frame SUV.
“Yes, I mean from a brand perspective obviously that is thinkable,” Glaab said when asked directly about the new off-road SUV. “And now whether it makes sense and in what region and with what particular concept remains to be seen.”
It is not just off-road SUVs that Hyundai and Kia are considering. Hyundai is readying its lifestyle-oriented Santa Cruz for production and Kia is developing a pickup to rival the Toyota HiLux and Ford Ranger. What’s more, Hyundai is also said to be developing a full-size pickup to chase after the likes of the Ford F-150, Chevrolet Silverado, and Ram 1500 that will also use a ladder-frame chassis.
More on this: 72 stories
- Kia Sorento review: Seven-seater SUV has true pulling power
- Kia confirms Stonic SUV landing next year
- 2021 Kia K5 GT-Line Is A Looker That Delivers The Goods
- 2020 Kia Stonic gains mild-hybrid option and GT Line trim
- New Kia Sorento priced from €49,800
- New 2020 Kia Picanto now on sale
- 2020 Kia Rio: prices, specs and release date
- Kia Sportage 2022: When the new Toyota RAV4, Mazda CX-5 rival will be revealed and go on sale
- Kia upgrades the Rio for 2021
- 2021 Kia Sorento X-Line is ready to hit the trails
- Kia's 2021 Sorento makes its Canadian debut
- All-New Kia Sorento Arriving By Year's End
- 2021 Kia Stinger Goes V6-Only In Europe, Brings Styling And Tech Upgrades
- 2021 Kia Sorento Hybrid three-row SUV: 37 mpg tops Highlander Hybrid, 30-mile plug-in too
- 2021 Kia Sorento three-row SUV flexes a new bod and hybrid engines
- The 2021 Kia Sorento Is a Three-Row SUV That Delivers Up to 37 MPG
- 2021 Kia Sorento: Here It Is
- Kia Digitally Reveals 2021 Sorento to US with a Telluride nose
- The 2021 Kia Sorento Lands In The USA With PHEV, 281 HP Turbo And More Rugged X-Line Models
- 2021 Kia Sorento arrives with more style and a plug-in hybrid
- 2021 Kia Sorento announced with new design and hybrid options
- 2021 Kia Sorento X-Line On Its Way To U.S. Showrooms
- Kia Sonet price: Kia Motors launches Sonet SUV, price starts at INR 6.71 lakh, Auto News, ET Auto
- Kia electric vehicle due in 2021 will lead new design direction for the brand
- Kia SA recalls first-gen Sorento for potential brake failure...