2021 Kia Sorento Hybrid three-row SUV: 37 mpg tops Highlander Hybrid, 30-mile plug-in too
A 2021 Kia Sorento Hybrid mid-size SUV arrives later this year and a Sorento Plug-In Hybrid joins the lineup next year as a 2022 model. On Tuesday, Kia releases specs for both.
Kia estimates that the Sorento Hybrid will achieve EPA results of 39 mpg city, 35 highway, and 37 combined, the last of which nudges the model ahead of the 36-mpg Toyota Highlander Hybrid.
Both the Hybrid and Plug-In Hybrid models are part of a fully redesigned Sorento lineup that includes the choice between two three-row interior layouts, 4+2 or 5+2 seating, combined with what Kia calls best-in-class interior passenger volume. In addition to a dramatically upgraded feature set, the Sorento will have boast a wide-ranging suite of active-safety tech features.
2021 Kia Sorento
The front-wheel-drive Sorento Hybrid will be powered by a 1.6-liter turbo-4 gasoline engine connected to a 6-speed automatic transmission, with a 44-kw electric motor at the input shaft of the transmission. The two power sources produce a combined 227 horsepower, which Kia claims makes it the most powerful (non-plug-in) hybrid in its class.
With a clutch that can disconnect the engine from the motor and transmission, and a 1.5-kwh battery pack, the Hybrid should allow for short distances of engine-off operation.
Plug-In Hybrid versions of the Sorento will be powered by a version of this same setup with all-wheel drive, a 67-kw electric motor, and a 13.8-kwh battery pack. It will produce a combined 261 hp, and Kia estimates it will provide an impressive 30 miles of all-electric range—by U.S. measurements—before transitioning to hybrid mode.
2021 Kia Sorento
Compared to the outgoing Sorento, Kia says that the new model is lighter and stronger, and has more versatility for various drivetrain combinations as illustrated by these models. Given that, however, it’s likely the Hybrid and Plug-In Hybrid models will be a bit heavier.
At present, Kia’s only plug-in model is the Niro, which comes in hybrid, plug-in hybrid, and Niro EV versions.
Kia’s plug-in vehicle plans will perk up next year, however. A flagship all-electric model from Kia has been confirmed for the U.S. later in 2021, and Kia just last week revealed that model, code-named CV, will debut of a completely new design direction for the brand.
U.S.-spec Sorento models will be assembled in West Point, Georgia.
More on this: 90 stories
- Kia Sorento review: Seven-seater SUV has true pulling power
- The Splendid 2021 Kia K5 Overshadows Optima
- Kia confirms Stonic SUV landing next year
- 2021 Kia K5 GT-Line Is A Looker That Delivers The Goods
- Kia Stonic GT-Line to crown baby SUV range in Australia
- Kia Revamps U.S. Soul Lineup For The 2021MY
- New Kia Sorento priced from €49,800
- Kia threatens to overtake Ford and Mitsubishi
- Next Kia Sportage to take tech lead
- New 2020 Kia Picanto now on sale
- 2020 Kia Rio: prices, specs and release date
- Kia Sportage 2022: When the new Toyota RAV4, Mazda CX-5 rival will be revealed and go on sale
- The Kia Stinger's Future May Be In Doubt
- The Kia Niro EV Is Setting Records
- Kia upgrades the Rio for 2021
- 2021 Kia Sorento X-Line is ready to hit the trails
- Kia's 2021 Sorento makes its Canadian debut
- All-New Kia Sorento Arriving By Year's End
- Kia Stinger 2020 facelift: further details of updated flagship released
- 2021 Kia Stinger Goes V6-Only In Europe, Brings Styling And Tech Upgrades
- 2021 Kia Sorento three-row SUV flexes a new bod and hybrid engines
- The 2021 Kia Sorento Is a Three-Row SUV That Delivers Up to 37 MPG
- 2021 Kia Sorento: Here It Is
- Kia Digitally Reveals 2021 Sorento to US with a Telluride nose
- The 2021 Kia Sorento Lands In The USA With PHEV, 281 HP Turbo And More Rugged X-Line Models