All-New Kia Sorento Arriving By Year's End
The Telluride has gotten all of the attention in the Kia lineup, but one of the automaker’s longest-running models just got a major update.
The Sorento crossover will be all-new for the 2021 model year and will hit dealer lots with a host of new tech, efficient powertrains and a new look.
The Sorento is an important model for Kia, with nearly 1.5 million sales since its introduction in 2002. The ’21 model will be built alongside the Telluride in Kia’s West Point, GA, factory and is scheduled to go on sale in late 2020.
Wards Intelligence classifies the Sorento as a midsize CUV competing against the Chevy Equinox, Ford Escape, Honda CR-V, Hyundai Santa Fe, Jeep Cherokee, Mazda CX-5, Nissan Rogue, Subaru Forester and Toyota Highlander and RAV4.
Through the first half of 2020, Kia sold 37,796 Sorentos, according to Wards Intelligence. All the rivals cited above outsold the current Sorento in the first half.
The new Sorento springs from an all-new third-generation “N3” platform that Kia says is lighter, stronger and designed to be more flexible than its predecessor.
The ’21 Sorento will be offered in five trims: LX, S, EX, SX and SX-Prestige. The CUV will be available with either front- or all-wheel drive and initially will be sold with three engine choices:
An 8-speed automatic gearbox is standard for models equipped with the naturally aspirated 2.5L, while an 8-speed wet dual-clutch automatic will be offered for models equipped with the 2.5L turbo. The hybrid model will come with a 6-speed automatic transmission.
In 2021, the automaker will introduce an additional Sorento powertrain – a 1.6L turbo plug-in hybrid with a 66.9-kW electric motor and 8-kWh battery. It’s expected to produce 261 hp and have 30 miles (48 km) of all-electric range with standard all-wheel drive.
A new X-Line option will give the Sorento an extra inch of ground clearance, which Kia says will improve approach and departure angles. The package also will include a more advanced all-wheel-drive system with a snow mode and a more robust roof rack to carry extra gear.
Following other automakers’ moves to include giant displays in new vehicles, Kia will offer a 12.3-in. (31-cm) fully digital gauge cluster in the Sorento. Its 10.2-in. (26-cm) infotainment screen also will be offered, while an 8-in. (20-cm) touchscreen will come standard.
Upping the tech ante for 2021, the Sorento will offer two new features to help owners find and use their vehicles in urban settings.
The Find My Car with Surround View Monitor feature uses the Sorento’s cameras to build an image of the vehicle’s location and display it in the Kia Access UVO App. The Last Mile Navigation feature provides walking directions to the final destination if the vehicle is parked up to 1.2 miles (1.9 km) away.
More on this: 49 stories
- 2021 Kia Sportage pricing and specs detailed: Toyota RAV4, Mazda CX-5, Hyundai Tucson and Nissan X-Trail rival now costs more
- New 2021 Kia Sorento Hits Dealerships in Time for Black Friday
- Kia drops two off-road S-Line Sorento concepts
- Kia Sorento Yosemite and Zion concepts get tough
- Kia Sorento Concepts Point to Brand's Desire To Battle Jeep, Ford
- Want Your 2021 Kia Sorento With More Beef? Use These Two Concepts as Inspiration
- Kia Highlights The Sorento X-Line's Off-Road Chops With New Yosemite And Zion Concepts
- 2021 Kia Sorento gets off-road upgrades for SEMA
- 2021 Kia Sorento Base Model Hit With A $2,450 Price Hike In The U.S.
- 2021 Kia Sorento SUV gets big price increase on base model only
- 2021 Kia Sorento prices: New SUV costs more, but you get more
- 2021 Kia Sorento pricing goes up with its big redesign
- Kia Stonic delayed until February
- SPY PICS: New Kia Sportage here next year
- 2022 Sportage Makes Spy Debut In Europe Looking Like Nothing From Kia's Current Lineup
- Comparing The 2021 K5 GT-Line AWD With Other Trims
- Kia Hybrids and EVs Show Steep Depreciation
- Why Kia's fresh logo marks the start of a new era
- Kia Sorento review: Seven-seater SUV has true pulling power
- Road test review: Kia Niro EV Premium
- The Splendid 2021 Kia K5 Overshadows Optima
- Kia confirms Stonic SUV landing next year
- Kia Stonic GT-Line to crown baby SUV range in Australia
- 2021 Kia Stonic GT-Line detailed: Sportier Mazda CX-3 and VW T-Cross rival debuts ahead of imminent launch
- New Kia Sorento priced from €49,800