Kia's 2021 Sorento makes its Canadian debut
Kia Canada gave Canadian automotive journalists a first look at the 2021 Kia Sorento that will be going on sale later this year.
Michael Kopke, director of marketing with Kia Canada, told journalists that the new Sorento comes with a new design and is based on Kia’s most advanced platform, making the 2021 Sorento “stronger, safer, lighter and more fuel efficient.”
The 2021 Sorento will come in six trim levels: LX+, LX Premium, a first ever X-Line, EX, EX+ and SX, all with standard all-wheel drive and third-row seating.
In the United States, Kia is launching a hybrid and plug-in hybrid trims. Canada will see those come sometime next year, as Kopke said Kia Canada wanted to focus on bringing all-wheel drive to the Sorento for Canadians.
This 2021 Sorento’s design takes some of its design inspiration from classic SUV designs with smart, sharp, clean lines in order to give it a sportier and modern feel.
On the outside, the 2021 Sorento will have a modernized “tiger face” with what the carmaker says will be new “eyeline” details, along with the grille extending into the headlight and hood structure. Standard LED headlamps with optional LED forward lighting will be offered, along with four different alloy wheels, ranging in size from 17 inches to 20 inches.
For the interior, the 2021 Sorento will include satin finishes and available metal texture inlays or open-pore wood inlays. Along with updated interior finishes, the 2021 Sorento will come with a 12.3-inch digital meter cluster, Surround View Monitor using four cameras to give a 360-degree perspective around the vehicle and Blind View Monitor to keep an close eye on adjacent lanes.
So that no one feels they do not have a way to charge or their various devices, up to eight USB ports will be available — depending on the trim level chosen — and drivers will have an option of eight-inch and 10.25-inch infotainment touch screens. UVO Intelligence Link telematics will give drivers a range of connected vehicle features, including Connected Routing to assist in calculating an optimal drive route, up-to-date weather information and new features such as Find My Car with Surround View Monitor and Final Destination Guide to provide walking directions to the driver’s destination if the vehicle happens to be parked up to two kilometres away. 2021 Sorento owners will also get Kia’s fourth-generation Advanced Driver Assistance Systems as well.
Built on the third-generation N3 platform, the new Sorento will be lighter and stronger than previous Sorento models and providing better driving dynamics and less harshness in the drive, along reduced noise vibration and harshness. The two engine options are a 2.5L GDI four-cylinder engine with an eight-speed automatic transmission that puts out 191 hp and 182 lb.-ft. of torque. The other, a 2.5L GDI 4-cylinder Turbo with an eight-speed wet dual-clutch automatic transmission and 281 hp with 311 lb.-ft. of torque, with 3,500 lbs. of towing capacity.
About The Review
More on this: 90 stories
- Kia Sorento review: Seven-seater SUV has true pulling power
- The Splendid 2021 Kia K5 Overshadows Optima
- Kia confirms Stonic SUV landing next year
- 2021 Kia K5 GT-Line Is A Looker That Delivers The Goods
- Kia Stonic GT-Line to crown baby SUV range in Australia
- Kia Revamps U.S. Soul Lineup For The 2021MY
- New Kia Sorento priced from €49,800
- Kia threatens to overtake Ford and Mitsubishi
- Next Kia Sportage to take tech lead
- New 2020 Kia Picanto now on sale
- 2020 Kia Rio: prices, specs and release date
- Kia Sportage 2022: When the new Toyota RAV4, Mazda CX-5 rival will be revealed and go on sale
- The Kia Stinger's Future May Be In Doubt
- The Kia Niro EV Is Setting Records
- Kia upgrades the Rio for 2021
- 2021 Kia Sorento X-Line is ready to hit the trails
- Kia's 2021 Sorento makes its Canadian debut
- All-New Kia Sorento Arriving By Year's End
- Kia Stinger 2020 facelift: further details of updated flagship released
- 2021 Kia Stinger Goes V6-Only In Europe, Brings Styling And Tech Upgrades
- 2021 Kia Sorento Hybrid three-row SUV: 37 mpg tops Highlander Hybrid, 30-mile plug-in too
- 2021 Kia Sorento three-row SUV flexes a new bod and hybrid engines
- The 2021 Kia Sorento Is a Three-Row SUV That Delivers Up to 37 MPG
- 2021 Kia Sorento: Here It Is
- Kia Digitally Reveals 2021 Sorento to US with a Telluride nose