Kia Sportage 2022: When the new Toyota RAV4, Mazda CX-5 rival will be revealed and go on sale
Kia may be busy developing the next-generation Sportage due next year, but we now know exactly when the mid-size SUV will be revealed, not to mention go on sale.
What is for sure, though, is the next Sportage won’t completely follow in the tyre tracks of the related and recently revealed new-generation Hyundai Tucson, which is available with both ‘self-charging’ and plug-in hybrid powertrains.
Instead, the only hybrid version of the next Sportage will be of the mild variety, and it will be built in Slovakia for Europe, a market with strict emissions regulations, unlike Australia.
Once again, local examples of the Sportage will be exclusively sourced from South Korea, but it’s not yet known if the new model will use carryover naturally aspirated petrol and turbocharged diesel engines here.
A camouflaged development mule of the next Sportage was spied testing in its domestic market as recently as earlier this month, with it appearing to have a different design language to the new-generation Sorento large SUV, which just went on sale in Australia.
Either way, Kia’s local general manager of product planning, Roland Rivero, previously told CarsGuide “a lot of investments have been put into Sportage over the years”, and the next model “is going to continue that tradition”, so expect it to be a marked improvement.
For reference, the current-generation Sportage is priced from $28,690 (manual S petrol) to $48,190 plus on-road costs (automatic GT-Line diesel).
More on this: 90 stories
- Kia Sorento review: Seven-seater SUV has true pulling power
- The Splendid 2021 Kia K5 Overshadows Optima
- Kia confirms Stonic SUV landing next year
- 2021 Kia K5 GT-Line Is A Looker That Delivers The Goods
- Kia Stonic GT-Line to crown baby SUV range in Australia
- Kia Revamps U.S. Soul Lineup For The 2021MY
- New Kia Sorento priced from €49,800
- Kia threatens to overtake Ford and Mitsubishi
- Next Kia Sportage to take tech lead
- New 2020 Kia Picanto now on sale
- 2020 Kia Rio: prices, specs and release date
- The Kia Stinger's Future May Be In Doubt
- The Kia Niro EV Is Setting Records
- Kia upgrades the Rio for 2021
- 2021 Kia Sorento X-Line is ready to hit the trails
- Kia's 2021 Sorento makes its Canadian debut
- All-New Kia Sorento Arriving By Year's End
- Kia Stinger 2020 facelift: further details of updated flagship released
- 2021 Kia Stinger Goes V6-Only In Europe, Brings Styling And Tech Upgrades
- 2021 Kia Sorento Hybrid three-row SUV: 37 mpg tops Highlander Hybrid, 30-mile plug-in too
- 2021 Kia Sorento three-row SUV flexes a new bod and hybrid engines
- The 2021 Kia Sorento Is a Three-Row SUV That Delivers Up to 37 MPG
- 2021 Kia Sorento: Here It Is
- Kia Digitally Reveals 2021 Sorento to US with a Telluride nose
- The 2021 Kia Sorento Lands In The USA With PHEV, 281 HP Turbo And More Rugged X-Line Models